LZW compression is named after its developers, Lempel and Ziv with later modifications by Welch. LZW is one of the most used image compressions for web graphics. Typically, LZW can compress image files to about one-half their original size. Compression ratios of 5:1 are also obtainable when the image has long runs or many solid color areas. LZW compression is always used in GIF image files and is a compression option for TIFF and PDF.
Overview of LEADTOOLS LZW Image Compression SDK Technology
- Load and save LZW compressed image data in GIF, TIFF, and PDF
- Compress and decompress bitonal, color, and grayscale LZW image data, including 12 and 16-bit grayscale
- LZW image compression technology available as .NET assemblies (C# & VB), C DLL, C++ classes, WinRT Libraries, iOS, OS X, Android, Linux, Java libraries for Windows and Linux, Silverlight classes, and web services
- Add LZW image compression to single and multithreaded applications
- Native 32 and 64-bit binaries for LZW image compression