LEADTOOLS supports Run Length Encoding (RLE) compression in a wide variety of file formats. RLE is an ideal compression algorithm for images that contain long runs of the same color. A perfect example is a document image where the white background creates very long runs in certain areas of the image.
Additionally, LEADTOOLS implements PackBits compression, a variation of RLE compression used in TIFF files. PackBits uses a control byte to indicate how the next byte or run of bytes is used. The high bit in the control byte indicates the following byte or bytes are encoded as a run or not encoded. The lower 7 bits indicate the count of bytes.
Overview of LEADTOOLS RLE and PackBits Image Compression SDK Technology
- Load and save RLE and Packbits image data in BMP, TIF, DICOM, and more
- Compress and decompress bitonal, color, and grayscale RLE and PackBits image data, including 12 and 16-bit grayscale
- RLE and PackBits image compression technology available as .NET assemblies (C# & VB), C DLL, C++ classes, WinRT Libraries, iOS, macOS, Android, Linux, Java libraries for Windows and Linux, Silverlight classes, and web services
- Add RLE and PackBits image compression to single and multithreaded applications
- Native 32 and 64-bit binaries for RLE and PackBits image compression