Overview of LEADTOOLS Forms Recognition and Processing SDK Technology
Recognize and extract form fields regardless of image resolution, scale, and other form generation characteristics
- Machine-printed characters and numerals (OCR)
- Checkboxes and bubbles from surveys and tests (OMR)
- Handwritten characters and numerals (ICR)
- 1D (Linear) and 2D barcodes, including UPC, EAN, Code 128, QR Code, Data Matrix, PDF417, USPS, and 4-state
- Images of artifacts such as signatures, pictures, logos, and fingerprints
- Advanced form alignment algorithm compensates for non-linear deformations introduced by different scanners, printers, and resolutions
World-class accuracy and speed
- Super-efficient forms classification algorithm can recognize forms from huge collections (e.g., 1000+) in less than two seconds
Recognize and process unstructured and semi-structured forms
- Extract text from fields with common headers such as name, address, and total, even when the filled form does not align with the master form
- Recognize vertical and horizontal text from the same document
- Support for large OMR forms (e.g., tests, surveys, etc.) with or without timing marks, achieving highly accurate results due to superior alignment
- Unique color and bitonal image recognition for scanned documents and pictures
- Classify and process single and multi-page forms, including individual and out-of-order pages
- Automatic detection and correction of page orientation and skew angle
- Enhance recognition accuracy with powerful document cleanup and preprocessing, including dropout of form table lines
- Use regular expressions to find and validate text
- Advanced, user-friendly tools for creating master form templates including auto-OMR mark detection and bulk field renaming
- Organize forms into categories and sub-categories
Comprehensive confidence reporting for each form field type
- Character location, size, and baseline
- Character attributes (end of word, end of line, and end of paragraph)
- Font properties (monospace, proportional, serif, sans-serif, bold, italic, underline, and strikethrough)
- Confidence values
- Load and save form identification information as XML for simplified storage and editing
- Utilize LEADTOOLS Fast Twain to rapidly scan documents
- Multithreaded OCR to power high performance, server-based applications
- Native 32 and 64-bit forms recognition and processing binaries
Forms Recognition and Processing Workflow
Technology Related to Forms Recognition and Processing
Start Coding with LEADTOOLS
Download the Full Evaluation
The Full Evaluation Download includes all LEADTOOLS Document, Medical, Imaging, and Vector technologies for all development and target platforms.
Get everything LEADTOOLS all in one convenient download.
Download Projects using NuGet
LEADTOOLS provides NuGet packages for .NET Framework, .NET Core, UWP, and Xamarin development.
Download projects that reference our NuGets and start coding right away.
Code Tips That use Forms Recognition and Processing
Documentation Links for Forms Recognition and Processing
White Papers Written About Forms Recognition and Processing
Countless companies rely on paper forms for gathering information from customers, patients, students, and the like. Automated forms recognition can be used on anything from a simple postcard to complex, multi-page tax forms to save time and money by increasing accuracy and reducing man-hours. However, large enterprises such as financial institutions, government agencies, and hospitals often deal with huge numbers of forms on a daily basis, causing unique problems which can be successfully and efficiently handled with good planning, form design, and the right software. By implementing a combination of multithreading, cloud computing, barcodes, and two-phase categorized recognition, a forms recognition and processing application built with LEADTOOLS can handle any large-scale scenario you can throw at it.
Forms recognition and processing is used all over the world to tackle a wide variety of tasks including classification, document archival, optical character recognition, and optical mark recognition. Out of those general categories, OMR is an oft misunderstood and underused feature in document imaging due to the time consuming nature of setting up OMR based forms and the difficulty of accurately detecting which OMR fields are filled on a scanned document. This white paper will discuss how to alleviate both of these common problems by developing an OMR forms recognition application with LEADTOOLS.
Document imaging is certainly saving trees and physical storage space, but in some situations it fails to save much time or hassle. Opting in to paperless statements or manually scanning paper documents yourself is a great way to archive all of your bills, invoices, financial statements, and the like. However, it still requires a fair amount of time and energy to thoughtfully organize the documents in your digital filing cabinet. Imagine being able to drop all of your scanned documents into a single folder and have all the work of moving and renaming the files in a logical, consistent manner done automatically. LEADTOOLS Forms Recognition and Processing fits the bill perfectly with its high-level, flexible, and powerful imaging libraries.
If you have been involved in the development of a document management application or process, you have probably run across a requirement to add, or interface with, forms recognition. It is also likely you have been frustrated with the accuracy of the results. Forms recognition and processing is a complicated procedure with an infinite number of variables and factors contributing to the accuracy of the extracted fields. However, few variables carry as much weight or significance as form alignment.
When it comes to change, the desire for efficiency is surely at or near the top of the list of reasons. Some processes and industries are harder to change, especially those that have been around for a long time. Court systems in many countries are one of the oldest and most well established processes to ensure all-around fairness, even if it must sacrifice expediency. Thankfully, the legal industry has taken major strides towards adapting to the digital age with the evolution of eDiscovery and document imaging.
Screenshots of Forms Recognition and Processing
Forms Recognition and Processing Results
Videos of Forms Recognition and Processing
How to Use Master Forms Editor Demo
In this video, we will explain how to use the LEADTOOLS Master Forms Editor demo to create and edit master form templates and categories, add and edit text and OMR fields, and use forms processing to extract the data from filled forms.
Invoice Recognition and Processing
In this video, we will explore the LEADTOOLS Invoice Recognition and Processing SDK, which was introduced in LEADTOOLS Version 19.
To demonstrate, we will examine and modify a master form template with the LEADTOOLS Master Form Editor demo, then recognize and process a filled form and verify the results. Each demo and its source code is included with the LEADTOOLS evaluation.
LEADTOOLS SDK Products that Include Forms Recognition and Processing
The LEADTOOLS Recognition Imaging SDK is a handpicked collection of LEADTOOLS SDK features designed to build end-to-end document imaging applications within enterprise-level document automation solutions that require OCR, MICR, OMR, barcode, forms recognition and processing, PDF, print capture, archival, annotation, and image viewing functionality. This powerful set of tools utilizes LEAD's award-winning image processing technology to intelligently identify document features that can be used to recognize and extract data from any type of scanned or faxed form image.
The LEADTOOLS Document Imaging Suite SDK is a comprehensive collection of LEADTOOLS SDK features designed to build end-to-end document imaging solutions that require OCR, MICR, OMR, ICR, barcode, forms recognition and processing, PDF, HTML5 Zero-footprint viewing, conversion, print, capture, archival, annotation, and image viewing functionality. This powerful set of tools utilizes LEAD's award-winning image processing technology to intelligently identify document features that can be used to recognize and extract data from any type of scanned or faxed form image.