LEADTOOLS includes tools for streaming the Apple HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) format using the Media Streaming Server for .NET (C# & VB) and C/C++ developers. With only a few lines of code and configuration modifications, a fully featured HLS server can be created to enable audio/video multimedia playback natively on Apple platforms and devices, or through Flash and QuickTime plug-ins on non-Apple platforms.
Apple HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) is a proprietary streaming protocol for delivering live and on-demand content over regular HTTP connections and is part of QuickTime, Safari, OS X, and iOS. HLS works by breaking up streams or video assets into several small MPEG-2 Transport Stream files with various bit rates and index files which serve as playlists for the content. With Apple HLS, the client is responsible for requesting the appropriate playlist based on the current network conditions and client hardware.
Overview of LEADTOOLS Apple HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) Format SDK Technology
- Full support to stream any multimedia file, capture device, ONVIF-conformant camera, UDP, and RTSP stream to clients using the Apple HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) protocol
HLS streams can be played on a wide variety of platforms
- Native playback on any Apple platforms and devices including Mac, iPhone, iPad, etc.
- Via third-party Flash and QuickTime plug-ins on non-Apple platforms
- Supports direct HTTP Live Streaming playlists for dynamic bit rate changes during streaming
- Includes .NET (C# & VB) and C DLL libraries for 32 and 64-bit development