LEADTOOLS provides Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) encoders, decoders, and transcoders for DirectShow and Media Foundation. These codecs compress and decompress audio data using the AAC compression standard (ISO/IEC 13818-7), which is designed to be the successor of ISO/MPEG Audio Layer-3 (MP3).
AAC, also known as MPEG-2 Part 7, is a lossy digital audio encoding compression standard. AAC typically delivers high-quality audio at a lower bit rate when compared to other audio encoding standards such as MP3.
Overview of LEADTOOLS AAC Audio Codec Technology
- Full support to encode, decode, and transcode audio data using the ISO/IEC 13818-7 AAC standard within MPEG-4 and MPEG-2 containers
- Low Complexity—(AAC-LC / LC-AAC)
- Main—(AAC Main)
- Long-term Prediction—(LTP)
- Supports both variable and constant bit rates
- Correct audio and video synchronization issues with automatic timestamp drift correction
- Selectable output channels
- Force stereo output option in the decoder
- 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound
- Raw and ADTS stream formats
- Output sample frequency selection
- Cut-off frequency option
- Includes .NET (C# & VB) and C DLL libraries for 32 and 64-bit development
AAC Compared to MPEG-1 Layer 2
AAC is the one of the most powerful audio codecs available today. The near CD quality MPEG-1 Layer 2 audio codec widely used in digital video applications delivers high-quality stereo at 128kbit/s/channel while MPEG-4 AAC offers the same quality at 64kb/s/channel.