Welcome Guest! To enable all features, please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Last Go to last post Unread Go to first unread post
#1 Posted : Friday, September 28, 2007 8:50:00 AM(UTC)
Mhernandez

Groups: Registered

Hello,
I have been saving some jpegs into a multi page tiff file using jpeg compression, it works fine, the only problem is that some of the people using my images don't have any other viewer than microsoft picture and fax viewer and it doesn't support this type of tiff files.

Can anyone suggest me another method of stitching together several jpeg files into one multi page file that is viewable by microsoft picture and fax viewer with a decent compression?  for example, I save one file using jpeg compression and it is 7mb in size, if I try with lzw it goes up to 300mb; there is no way my customers will download a file that big.

Try the latest version of LEADTOOLS for free for 60 days by downloading the evaluation: https://www.leadtools.com/downloads

Wanna join the discussion? Login to your LEADTOOLS Support accountor Register a new forum account.

#2 Posted : Friday, October 5, 2007 4:39:18 AM(UTC)

GregR  
GregR

Groups: Registered, Tech Support, Administrators

Do your customers also have Microsoft Document Imaging by chance?  Most machines that have picture and Fax Viewer also have it.  In my tests I could load JPEG compressed TIF files in MDI but not PFV.  The only compressions I know of that work in PFV for color images are LZW, Packbits, and Uncompressed and LZW is the best compression of those.

293 MB difference is very huge and I find that very surprising for switching from JPEG to LZW.  What kind of a QFactor were you using when saving with JPEGs?  When I saved a file to LZW it was less than the JPEG, but I used a QFactor of 2.  Of course it depends a lot on the image data itself.

#3 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2007 11:28:08 AM(UTC)
Mhernandez

Groups: Registered

I use a very high q factor (70) since quality is pretty decent and I am more concerned about disk space. the deal is that my provider is sending me photographs of documents taken with a digital camera at the highest resolution (I don't know why, he just does)si I get  a bunch of very big files (some 2 or 3 megs each) what I do is save them together on a single file since they belong to the same document; the only way i have found this far is on a multi-page tif.  Do you think there is a better way to do this?

#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2007 4:29:31 AM(UTC)

GregR  
GregR

Groups: Registered, Tech Support, Administrators

Ok, the QFactor makes sense then. 

If you are limited to viewing with Picture and Fax Viewer, then I believe you are at the end of the road as far as 24bpp multipage file format options go. 

Like I said before, Microsoft Office Document Imaging (which is likely likely on any XP machine) can load the TIFFs with JPEG compression. 

Another option would be saving raster PDFs with JPEG compression.  This would require that your customers have Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is free.  If you took this option you would need to purchase the PDF Write plugin.  For pricing and licensing information, please contact sales@leadtools.com.