Welcome Guest! To enable all features, please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Last Go to last post Unread Go to first unread post
#1 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2007 2:29:48 AM(UTC)
tomcat2001

Groups: Registered

I do not know where the memory is going or if the memory is just associated with the RasterImage, but each time I load an image, we're seeing a jump of about 30MB in memory use.  I am loading a PNG file that is less than 1MB.  This seems a bit excessive.  Is there something I'm missing here, but if we load 5-6 of these we're seeing a jump in memory of nearly 200MB.

Try the latest version of LEADTOOLS for free for 60 days by downloading the evaluation: https://www.leadtools.com/downloads

Wanna join the discussion? Login to your LEADTOOLS Support accountor Register a new forum account.

#2 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2007 4:23:54 AM(UTC)

serbach  
serbach

Well, the file size of a PNG or JPG is going to be much smaller than the file size in RAM...and RAM is what counts. I have similar issues with the images I'm working with: 100-300 MB on disk, 5-7 GB in RAM. I use the RasterCodecs.Load() method to load just a portion of the image into RAM so that I can work on it.

You're simply seeing how the image expands in RAM from its compressed state on disk.

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI
http://TheTownCrank.blogspot.com

#3 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2007 4:44:51 AM(UTC)
teomorell

If I am not wrong: Memory size = W x H x bits.
As an example a JPG file 2000x3000x24 might be around 2MB (on disk) depending on the compression ratio.
It will use around 17 MB of memory: 2000 x 3000 x 24 / 8 /1024 /1024

What I wonder is if it is possible to use the video card memory instead of the system memory.

Thanks,

Teo

#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2007 5:49:03 AM(UTC)

Adnan Ismail  

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Teo,

LEADTOOLS does not have the ability to store images in
the video card memory. I would expect standard motherboard RAM to be cheaper than a large-memory video card anyway.