Welcome Guest! To enable all features, please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Last Go to last post Unread Go to first unread post
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 9, 2011 3:09:17 PM(UTC)
philjohnson3

Groups: Registered

I'm using visual studio 2010, and leadtools multimedia v17.

I've built a project that references the COM lead multimedia library , which ends up putting the actual following references in the project:
- AxLTMMLib
- Interop.LMDSKernelLib2
- Leadtools.Multimedia
- LTMMLib

I then created a visual studio deployment project that references the above project. This ends up getting in the 'detected dependencies' section
- AxInterop.LTMMLib.dll
- DSKernel2.dll
- Interop.LMDSKernelLib2.dll
- Interop.LTMMLib.dll
- ltmm17.dll

when i make an installer from this project, and then install it on a client, it actually installs (to the application folder, not the system32 folder) DSKernel2x.dll. The client is NOT 64bit, but the building machine that creates the installer is.

The client application doesn't work, i get a "Class not registered" error, but if i copy my dskernel2.dll from the build machine to the application folder, and regsvr32, then the application works.

Why isn't the appropriate dskernel2.dll being copied over, and why isn't it registering? I understand my build machine is 64bit, but i have the platform set to x86.

Try the latest version of LEADTOOLS for free for 60 days by downloading the evaluation: https://www.leadtools.com/downloads

Wanna join the discussion? Login to your LEADTOOLS Support accountor Register a new forum account.

#2 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:26:25 AM(UTC)

Adnan Ismail  

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

We ship different sets of our DLLs, those that you need on 64-bit and those that you need on 32-bit editions of Windows.

If you are developing the application on Windows 64-bit machine, use the 64-bit configuration option to run the application in 64-bit mode and the 32-bit option to build and run the application as a Windows 32-bit program.

However, in your installation, you MUST ship the correct set of DLLs with your application.

If the Windows edition is 32-bit, register the 32-bit DLLs ONLY in the Windows\SYSTEM32 folder.
If the Windows edition is 64-bit, register BOTH 32-bit and 64-bit DLLs as follows:
1. Register the 32-bit DLLs in the Windows\SYSWOW64 folder
2. Register the 64-bit DLLs in the Windows\ SYSWOW64 folder

#3 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2011 10:59:14 AM(UTC)
philjohnson3

i understand the concept above, i know that dskernel2x is for 64 bit, and dskernel2 is for 32 bit. What i'm saying is:
- i am developing and building on a 64 bit machine
- our clients, however, are 32 bit machines
- dskernel2 (NOT dskernel2x) is in my deployment project
- for some reason, dskernel2 is getting deployed to the client machine, even though they are 32 bit.

#4 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2011 11:01:11 AM(UTC)
philjohnson3

what i meant to say above, is that dskernel2X is getting deployed to my 32 bit clients, and i need to prevent that, and make sure that it is dskernel2 instead. I have no idea how to make the deployment project choose the right dskernel to install depending on the client OS, cause it seems like it's choosing the dskernel of the build machine, rather than the client machine.

#5 Posted : Saturday, February 12, 2011 11:58:41 PM(UTC)

Adnan Ismail  

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Our toolkit does not have any direct effect on what your deployment project does. The files that get deployed and registered depend on your installer program.
With most installation applications, you can modify the setup project and specifically determine which DLLs get copied and where they are installed on the deployment PC. You should also be able to remove DLLs that were inserted by automatic dependency detection.

If you face problems with your installer, please refer to its documentation.