Welcome Guest! To enable all features, please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Last Go to last post Unread Go to first unread post
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 27, 2009 11:33:27 AM(UTC)
seinarsson

Groups: Registered

I'm using LEADTOOLS C#.NET v16.5. I'm working with 16-bit grayscale image.

When the user opens the RAW image, I'm running the image through some LEADTOOLS commands to clean up the image and make it look better. These include a 3x3 Median filter and the HistogramEqualizeCommand using the HistogramEqualizeType.Gray flag.

Afterwards, the user has the option of running some more commands on the image. Sharpen and Smooth are two of them.

The problem is that Sharpen and Smooth don't appear to be doing anything, unless the values are set at or near the maximum values, and then it's mostly just distorting the image or creating noise.

Is there something about the HistogramEqualizationCommand that would make the Sharpen and Smooth commands not work well afterwards?

-Sarkis-

Try the latest version of LEADTOOLS for free for 60 days by downloading the evaluation: https://www.leadtools.com/downloads

Wanna join the discussion? Login to your LEADTOOLS Support accountor Register a new forum account.

#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2009 7:07:35 AM(UTC)

Basel  

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Sarkis,
The SmoothCommand only works on 1-bit black and white images. I don't think it should be used with grayscale images.

About the Sharpen command, this is normal. The Histogram Equalize Command affects the distribution of intensity levels in the image and might reduce the 'edge' or high-frequency parts of the image. If you apply the Sharpen Command after that, its effect will not be the same because it relies on these edge parts.

So it might be better to Apply the Sharpen Command before the HistogramEqualizeCommand.

#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2009 10:22:12 AM(UTC)
seinarsson

Groups: Registered

I've been pointed to the UnSharpMask command, and been told that would be better to use.

Would this command be affected the same way by the Equalize command?

-Sarkis-

#4 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2009 3:24:13 AM(UTC)

Basel  

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Probably yes.
The UnsharpMaskCommand Class is similar in some ways to the Sharpen command (they both increase sharpness), but it sharpens the image in a different way. So you might get different results.

You can try to use the UnsharpMask Command after the Histogram Equalize Command and see if it suits you better.