Welcome Guest! To enable all features, please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Last Go to last post Unread Go to first unread post
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 25, 2007 10:32:50 AM(UTC)

aalang  
aalang

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I have an automated program that dumps text to a printer port that is captured. (Network printer that is mapped to LPT4.)

We want to have the print get changed to a PDF and emailed, but it has to map to a printer port.

I installed the LEADTools product (trial to see if we can get it to do what we need) on my print server and created a print manager task.

I then shared the printer created by the task.

I installed it as a generic text printer on the desktop running the dos program and mapped it to lpt4.

I did a print test page on the print server and it sent to email correctly. I did a print test page on the desktop accessing it through a share (nto even utilizing the printer port yet) and nothing is emailed. Nothing is reported in the task log either. A document is listed in the printer jobs on the print server with a status of "Printed".

Any recommendations or if this si possible?

Adam

Try the latest version of LEADTOOLS for free for 60 days by downloading the evaluation: https://www.leadtools.com/downloads

Wanna join the discussion? Login to your LEADTOOLS Support accountor Register a new forum account.

#2 Posted : Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:19:24 PM(UTC)

GregR  
GregR

Groups: Registered, Tech Support, Administrators

Are you sharing the ePrint printer?  If so, this will not work because ePrint cannot be shared over the network.  Not only does it not physically work, but it is also in violation of your license agreement.

If you are doing something different and are not sharing the ePrint printer, please explain how it is set up in more detail.  Some screenshots of the steps you are taking would be helpful.

#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2008 5:26:49 AM(UTC)

Dany  
Dany

Well, I don't like to share the printer, but how can I capture a printjob from a DOS apps ??

If you know any other solution to redirect LPTx to any windows printer I would appriciate if you could share this with me.

#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2008 9:07:53 AM(UTC)

GregR  
GregR

To use LEADTOOLS ePrint to convert a file, simply open the file in its native viewer and print from within the viewer. Set LEADTOOLS ePrint as the target printer. When the LEADTOOLS ePrint properties dialog appears, set the output format to the desired format and press OK within the dialog.

Basically, if you can print to a physical printer with your application, then you should be able to print to ePrint.  If not, then this is likely a limitation of your software.  Some older applications cannot print to a software-based application and this might be the case since it's a DOS applicaiton.

As for redirecting the print-job through ePrint to other Windows Printers, there should be an option on the Save As dialog called "Route to other system printers".  Check this box and then click the Select Printers button.  Select the desired printers from the dialog and then click OK on the save as dialog.

#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 16, 2008 2:23:01 AM(UTC)

Dany  
Dany

Thanks for your quick response.[:)]

Yes the problem is, that my application is not able to print to any windows printer, it is only printing to lpt1.

Now I redirect LPT1 with icapture from Novell to any iprinter on the network.

But now our salesdep like to print one copy to their printer and an other copy to a printer in the other building.

So I was evaluating your software to get this job done. yesterday I found an other tool "DOSprn" witch simply capture the LPT port wirte the stuff to a file and print the file to a selected printer.

It might be a nice feature to your software, if it would be able to do the same thing, so I just would need one peace of code.

cheers

Dany

#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 16, 2008 6:42:57 AM(UTC)

GregR  
GregR

I'm sorry, but this is not something that ePrint supports.  ePrint has it's own software port, and will only work with that.  It would require a significant redesign to allow ePrint to accept data from an LPT port. 

I'd say your best bet is to use the "DOSprn" utility and see if it can print to an ePrint printer.  If not, then I'm afraid that ePrint cannot accept print jobs like your DOS application is printing.

I apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.