Welcome Guest! To enable all features, please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Last Go to last post Unread Go to first unread post
#1 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2007 12:51:55 PM(UTC)

serbach  
serbach

Groups: Registered

Dear Group,

For a project I'm working on for my company we purchased v. 15 of Raster Imaging Pro. I uninstalled the eval version and installed the full version. During the installation I was asked whether I wanted the LeadTools help files to be integrated (I don't remember the exact term) into the VS 2005 help system. Of course I answered Yes!

If I position the cursor on a LeadTools class name or method name in my code in the VS IDE and press the F1 key, I am, indeed, presented with the help screen for that class or method in the VS Help. It's a bit awkward to use, however, because it's only a partial integration; that is, if I go to the Look for: box in the Help Index tab, I cannot locate anything related to LeadTools. Therefore if I'm reading about the RasterImage class and I want to jump to, say, the RasterCodecs.Load() method, I can't...unless I go to the RasterCodecs members page and locate the Load() method there.

It makes learning about the new features a bit more difficult than usual when one can only rely on the Help files.

Did I miss a technique for merging LeadTools index entries with VS? I wouldn't complain about it so much except that another graphics toolkit, Aurigma Graphics Mill, integrated its help beautifully.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI
http://TheTownCrank.blogspot.com

Try the latest version of LEADTOOLS for free for 60 days by downloading the evaluation: https://www.leadtools.com/downloads

Wanna join the discussion? Login to your LEADTOOLS Support accountor Register a new forum account.

#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2007 6:26:26 PM(UTC)

Ike  
Ike

Groups: Tech Support

The class names (i.e. RasterCodecs) are indexed.

The property, method, etc. (i.e. Load) names are also indexed.

However, the Class.Method (i.e. RasterCodecs.Load) are not indexed by the software that we use to create the help collection.  We are currently investigating this.

Ike Starnes, Engineering Manager

LEAD Technologies, Inc.

http://www.leadtools.com

Ike
LEAD Technologies, Inc.

LEAD Logo

#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 21, 2007 5:53:59 AM(UTC)

serbach  
serbach

Ike,

Then there must be something else I've done wrong if, as you say, the class names and properties, etc. are indexed.

I'm using VS 2005 right now and I'm looking at the Leadtools.ImageProcessing Namespace page ms-help://MS.VSCC.v80/MS.VSIPCC.v80/Leadtools.DotNetClassLibrary/Leadtools/Leadtools~Leadtools.ImageProcessing_namespace.html ). I arrived at that page by
1) positioning my cursor in my code over RasterBufferResize and pressing F1;
2) Clicking on the See Also Leadtools Namespace topic;
3) Clicking on the See Also Leadtools Assembly topic;
4) and then clicking in Leadtools.ImageProcessing.

I just entered RasterCodecs in the Help Index 'Look for:' box. The index entry simply isn't there. Neither is RasterImage, RasterCommand, etc.

I'm navigating all right and there seem to be sufficient examples. But it sure would be handy to be able to use the Help Index Look For.

Sincerely,

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI

#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 21, 2007 9:19:47 PM(UTC)

Adnan Ismail  

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Steve,

I checked your steps and I was able to find the RasterImage and Raster Command in using the Index "Look for".
Please try to do the following and check if the Indexes are updated:

1. From Control Panel, Add\Remove program select LEADTOOLS v15 and click on "Change".
2. Choose the "Modify" option and complete the wizard.
At the end it will generate the following message box:
---------------------------
Question
Do you want to plug LEADTOOLS for .NET documentation in the Visual Studio .NET 2005 help system?
Yes   No
3. Click on the "No" button.
4. Repeat the above steps and this time click on "Yes".

After that, please try your steps in the last post and check them.

#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 27, 2007 5:56:32 AM(UTC)

serbach  
serbach

Adnan,

I was happy to try out your suggestion for integrating LeadTools Help in Visual Studio 2005. I restarted my workstation both times after finishing the unplugging and replugging of the LeadTools documentation...but, alas! The Visual Studio 2005 Help system acts the same as before. I can bring up a specific Help topic if I position my cursor on a class name or method in my code and press the Help key; but once in the Help system if I type in any of the LeadTools-specific help topics in the "Look for:" box, they do not appear.

Should I, perhaps, un-install and re-install LeadTools 15? I had been using the eval version up until a couple of weeks ago, and I had un-installed that version first before installing the full-bore version.

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI

#6 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2007 6:55:35 AM(UTC)

Adnan Ismail  

Steve,

The new build of our help file will send you to
the help topic directly either if you press F1 on the class itself or on the member name. Is this what you want?

#7 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2007 5:38:54 AM(UTC)

serbach  
serbach

Adnan,

Yes, that part works fine. I have no trouble locating a topic when I press F1 on a LeadTools class name or method name in my code.

Again, what I was hoping for was the ability to click over on the Help Index tab and type in a LeadTools method name or class name in the "Look for:" box and jump to that topic in the Help file. That's the part that isn't implemented.

As I said in my first message, I know that it's possible since the Help information for another graphics toolbox I installed, Aurigma Graphics Mill, was merged with the Visual Studio help files just like all the rest of the help topics.

Don't get me wrong; I am VERY happy with the LeadTools capabilities. The project I'm working on has been brought to an advanced state very rapidly by using RasterImage Pro v. 15 for .NET! I am simply puzzled that I see no index entries for LeadTools help topics in the Visual Studio Help system.

I have, however, gotten used to navigating through the "See Also" section to get to where I want to go. As I gained familiarity with v. 15 I learned to navigate to the topic I want fairly quickly. But it would be nice to click on the "Sync with Table of Contents" icon or to type in a topic in the "Look for:" box. If my application required a larger set of LeadTools capabilities I might be making more noise about this issue; but since I've found what I needed, it isn't as important to me.

I simply think that your product would be more valuable if the help topics were properly integrated into the Visual Studio Table of Contents and Index.

Sincerely,

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI

#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2007 6:18:28 AM(UTC)

Adnan Ismail  

Steve,
I will send your feedback to our engineers to check if these enhancements could be implemented in the new .NET help file.

#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2007 5:49:27 AM(UTC)

serbach  
serbach

Adnan,

Why, thank you! Again, I'm very pleased with what I've been able to do with v. 15.

Sincerely,

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI

#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2007 9:53:31 PM(UTC)

Adnan Ismail  

Steve,

I took an initial look at the new .NET help file merged with Visual Studio 2005 help. I was able to do the following:
1. From the Help menu, select Index.
2. In the "Look for" box, I typed "rastercodecs"
In the list, I got the raster codecs class shown first on top of the list followed by its events, members, methods, and properties.
After I clicked on it, it was shown in the help window. See
attached screen shots.

Please let me know if you have any comments on this.
File Attachment(s):
dotNETHelp.zip (189kb) downloaded 24 time(s).

#11 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2007 3:50:26 AM(UTC)

serbach  
serbach

Adnan,

Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for! When you say "new .NET help file", are you saying that I should have it already or that this is an enhancement that is about to be released?

I would be willing to un-install an re-install whatever's necessary. I already tried the other suggestion you gave me, regarding the modification of the installation to try to re-install just the help files. I figure that perhaps I'll have to un- and re-install VS 2005 and LeadTools v. 15 from scratch to have the best shot at getting this feature. I may not do that for a while, though. I really hate to un-install and re-install things!

Thanks again.

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI

#12 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:58:28 AM(UTC)

Adnan Ismail  

Steve,

You do not need to uninstall the Visual Studio .NET 2005. You only need to install the new setup of LEADTOOLS v15. However, the new setup is not available yet. If you would like to be notified when it becomes available, please send your serial number to our support email at support@leadtools.com

#13 Posted : Monday, April 2, 2007 5:19:26 AM(UTC)

serbach  
serbach

Adnan,

[!!] Say! That is very good news to hear! I will certainly send my serial number as you suggest. Thank you!

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI