Welcome Guest! To enable all features, please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Last Go to last post Unread Go to first unread post
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 28, 2017 8:11:00 AM(UTC)

alekz  
alekz

Groups: Registered

Hello!

I'm facing an issue with the installer of the virtual printer on Windows 10 (tested both 32 and 64 bits).

The needed files (COM servers and drivers) were installed as stated by the help file provided, but when the installer code has to create the printer it fails.

The installer uses this code (pretty much the same as the examples provided):
Dim pi as New Leadtools.Printer.PrinterInfo()
pi.AboutString = PRODUCT_NAME
pi.DriverName = PRINTER_NAME
pi.MonitorName = PRINTER_NAME
pi.PortName = PRINTER_NAME
pi.PrinterName = PRINTER_NAME
pi.ProductName = PRODUCT_NAME
pi.RegistryKey = REG_KEY & PRINTER_NAME '// "SOFTWARE\\LEAD Technologies, Inc.\\17.5\\Printer\\TestPrinter"
pi.RootDir = vpFolder '// folder where LT is installed
pi.Url = PRODUCT_WEBSITE
Printer.Install(pi) '// THIS CALL FAILS!

The same code was tested with no issues on Windows 7 32 bits, Windows Server 2008 64 bits, but fails on both flavors of Windows 10.

The exception thrown is RasterException with Code 0 (Failure), and the stack trace is:
" at Leadtools.Printer.PrinterDriverException.CheckErrorCode(Int32 code)" & vbCrLf & " at Leadtools.Printer.Printer.Install(PrinterInfo printerInfo)" & vbCrLf & " at TestPrinter.PrintManager.Install(Exception& err) in E:\PROJECTS.net\TestPrinter\PrintManager.vb:line 193"

As you can see, there ir a PrinterDriverException that somehow rethrows a RasterException.

I have the following questions:
1) Is there any know issue regarding virtual printer install procedure on Windows 10, that you may know? Maybe related to COM, or drivers?
2) Windows 10 was tested both with UAC on and off. Everything was run under administrative privileges (Run as Administrator)
3) Tried configuring in Component Services the authentication mode to NONE for all the related VP COM components, no luck here.
4) I'm using version 17.5, so I know it's outdated, but I need to know the reason this works on Windows 7 and not w10 before evaluating an upgrade.

Thank you
Alex

Try the latest version of LEADTOOLS for free for 60 days by downloading the evaluation: https://www.leadtools.com/downloads

Wanna join the discussion? Login to your LEADTOOLS Support accountor Register a new forum account.

#2 Posted : Friday, March 31, 2017 11:03:56 AM(UTC)

Aaron  
Aaron

Groups: Registered, Tech Support, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Hi Alex,

Windows released a security update that caused our virtual printers to fail due to a signing issue. Here is the actual security update that caused the issue:

https://support.microsof...components-july-12,-2016

You may want to try removing the windows updates, but we did fix this issue with LEADTOOLS 19, but unfortunately we no longer maintain LEADTOOLS 17.5 so the fix was only released for LEADTOOLS 19. If you wish to download and test the latest LEADTOOLS 19 for virtual printers, you can do so here:

https://www.leadtools.co...in&SrcOrigin=support

If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact us back.
Aaron Brasington
Developer Support Engineer
LEAD Technologies, Inc.

LEAD Logo