Welcome Guest! To enable all features, please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Last Go to last post Unread Go to first unread post
#1 Posted : Monday, June 4, 2012 4:14:25 AM(UTC)

Pirie  
Pirie

Groups: Registered

I have written a VB6 program that uses the standard VB6 print methods. I want to 'print' to a PDF without the need to first install a 'pseudo printer' app such as Eprint5 or PDF Creator.

If I use the Eprint API in my program, will I still need to install eprint as an app on my computer or is the API completely self contained?

If not, is there any other way provided by Leadtools?

Try the latest version of LEADTOOLS for free for 60 days by downloading the evaluation: https://www.leadtools.com/downloads

Wanna join the discussion? Login to your LEADTOOLS Support accountor Register a new forum account.

#2 Posted : Monday, June 4, 2012 6:48:54 AM(UTC)

JamesD  

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Hello,

The use of the Eprint API does require that an Eprint printer be installed on the machine. The printer can be the normal Eprint printer installed by our setup application or you can install an OEM version of the Eprint printer, programmatically from your application.

This page in the help documentation gives some more information about installing the Eprint OEM printer and what files need to be included with your application to do that: http://eprintdriver.com/...I/Dllaux/ePrintFiles.htm

And this page describes the different types of Eprint printers (such as OEM) you can use the with the Eprint API:
http://eprintdriver.com/help/v5.0/API/Dllsteps/TypesofPrinters.htm

Another option available from Leadtools is our Virtual Printer components. Using the Virtual Printer components would give you a lighter footprint than using the Eprint API with Eprint. The latest toolkit does not have direct support for VB6, but you can use our toolkit with VB6 by making calls to our CDLL.

#3 Posted : Monday, June 4, 2012 11:24:29 PM(UTC)

Pirie  
Pirie

Hi,

Thanks for the information.

I have looked in www.leadtools.com for details on your Virtual Printer Components. It's not 100% clear to me but I have gleaned the following:

1. By using Virtual Printer Components I wouldn't have to also install a second application line eprint5 or PDFCreator.

2. I would be able to create a PDF file directly from my VB program.

3. I assume that to create a PDF I wouldn't have to use VB's own print methods (like eprint5 does) but the Visual Printer Components syntax.

Could you please comment on this understanding.

Thanks

#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 5, 2012 6:36:08 AM(UTC)

JamesD  

In answer to your questions:

1. Yes, using the Virtual Printer components would not require you to install a second application. You would configure and install the Virtual Printer from within your own application. The Virtual Printer would then save your documents to the file format (PDF) and location that your application specifies.

2. Yes, you would be you be able to create a PDF file directly from your application by way of the Virtual Printer that is created and installed.

3. You could use either the built-in printing capabilities of your application to send the document to the Virtual Printer, or you can use the built in methods of the Virtual Printer class to call it's print functions and create the output PDF.

To get a better understanding of how the Virtual Printer components work, you should download and install our free toolkit evaluation:
http://www.leadtools.com/downloads/InstantDownload.htm?category=main&download=/rd/v175/LEADTOOLSMain.exe

It includes demo programs for the Virtual Printers (including source code) that demonstrate all of the functionality they offer.

Once you have the toolkit installed, you can find the Virtual Printer demos in the following location:
\Shortcuts\.NET Class Libraries\.NET Framework\02 Document\09 Virtual Printer Driver

Depending on the documents you're trying to convert to PDF, you may also want to look at our Document Writer components in the toolkit as well:
http://www.leadtools.com/sdk/formats/document-writers.htm

These components provide high level methods for creating PDFs from various input sources. The toolkit evaluation also installs demo programs that show the Document Writers capabilities. These demos are located in:
\Shortcuts\.NET Class Libraries\.NET Framework\02 Document\08 Document Writers

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks,

#5 Posted : Thursday, June 7, 2012 8:56:04 PM(UTC)

Pirie  
Pirie

Thank you for your information.

It is not really that I try to convert a document to a PDF, but I want to use the Printer control of VB6 to create a PDF document immediately. Because system management of our customer does not allow the installation of a PDF printer driver such as PDF Creator or one of your drivers, I need a 'virtual printer driver' that does not have to be installed.

If I understand the use of your virtual printer correct (and correct me if I am wrong), you can install it when you use it and uninstall when you don't use it anymore. But the problem is that that is also not accepted by system management, there are no administrator rights when our application is running!

So what I am looking for really is a 'virtual printer' (OCX, DLL) that does has no need to be installed or registered. Then from our VB6 program I want to point the Printer control to this 'Virtual printer', change settings of this printer (filename, location to save etc) and then print to this printer the way you should to to a 'normal' printer. Do you have a tool that can do that? Do you also have a simple VB6 example how to use?

Thanks

#6 Posted : Friday, June 8, 2012 7:17:30 AM(UTC)

JamesD  

Thanks for clarifying your requirements for this project. Unfortunately, Administrator access is required in order to install and uninstall the Virtual Printer, even if it is only done temporarily. This is a restriction of Microsoft's security policies for Windows and not something specific to our toolkit. The only way to get around this is if the security policies for non-Admin users are modified in order to allow the users to install printer drivers.

If you do decide to consider options other than using the printing capabilities of VB6, our toolkit has various classes and methods for generating PDF documents from a variety of input sources. Let me know if you'd like more information about this.

Thanks,