Welcome Guest! To enable all features, please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Last Go to last post Unread Go to first unread post
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 25, 2018 10:17:39 AM(UTC)

DennisH  
DennisH

Groups: Registered

I am implementing 2D PDF417 barcode reading with V19. (C API) I am successfully loading a G4 tiff from a memory location, reading, and getting results. So far, so good.

We have some very poor barcodes that we are trying to read. Some are not read, and that is to be expected. I only see a -417 return indicating no barcode. Some of these take quite a bit of time (>70 ms) to return a no read. This tells me it is trying to process it, but it isn't good enough to read. Is there a way to get a barcode detected status even though it isn't read? Is there a way to set a timeout to limit processing to timeout after a certain amount of time. We are in a very time critical environment sorting documents on a high speed document transport. I do already send a RECT with the area to read so it isn't trying to do a full page. A good read, or blank area on the doc is done in a few ms. A bad read can take too long to sort a document.

A barcode detect status would help greatly to flag a post scan extra process to read the code. A limit of the time would also be a huge advantage. Any ideas on these?

Try the latest version of LEADTOOLS for free for 60 days by downloading the evaluation: https://www.leadtools.com/downloads

Wanna join the discussion? Login to your LEADTOOLS Support accountor Register a new forum account.

#2 Posted : Friday, January 26, 2018 11:53:34 AM(UTC)

Walter  
Walter

Groups: Tech Support

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Hello,

Is there a way to get a barcode detected status even though it isn't read?
There is a flag for BARCODE_RETURNCORRUPT which enables the engine to return the area at which an un-readable PDF417 symbol was located. This is the only symbology this appears to be supported for.

Is there a way to set a timeout to limit processing to timeout after a certain amount of time?
At this time, there isn't any internal support for a time limit. You might be able to work-around this by putting the recognition in a separate thread and having a timeout within the thread that aborts the thread if the timeout is exceeded. That wouldn't be an ideal solution, but it is something you could try with the current implementation.

I will also report this as a feature request so it may be implemented in a future release of LEADTOOLS. I will send an email from support@leadtools.com to the email address that you registered on the forum. If that email address is not correct, please update it and let me know so I can resend the email.

Thanks,

Walter Bates
Senior Support Engineer
LEAD Technologies, Inc.
LEAD Logo

#3 Posted : Friday, January 26, 2018 12:19:38 PM(UTC)

DennisH  
DennisH

Groups: Registered

Thanks for the info. I should have seen that option earlier. Only PDF417 may be a bit of an issue since we are also doing some datamatrix. The timeout is still a bit of an issue where we have some really bad PDF417 barcodes that can take over 400 ms and sometimes up to 800 ms to decide it can't read. That won't work in our application. I don't think a separate thread fits in for what we are doing, but we'll discuss it here before we decide to abandon LT.