Welcome Guest! To enable all features, please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Last Go to last post Unread Go to first unread post
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 9, 2011 9:18:44 AM(UTC)

kjhang  
kjhang

Groups: Registered

I have a newbie video question. If I use the Leadtools CaptureCtrl with the Leadtools MPEG4 encoder to capture some video, what will an end user need to view the video on their machine? Can they use Windows Media Player as is, or do they need to install some codec to see the video? Or do I have to provide a player for them that uses the Leadtools MPEG4 decoder?

Maybe a broader question is, what format of video encoding do you recommend I use with the Leadtools Multimedia suite so that I can distribute videos to the broadest possible base of users without them having to download/install any special viewers or codecs?

I know this is a broad, big picture question, but I figure as you work in video on a daily basis and I don't, it will help me understand the situation a little better.

Thanks for any insight you can offer,
Ken

Try the latest version of LEADTOOLS for free for 60 days by downloading the evaluation: https://www.leadtools.com/downloads

Wanna join the discussion? Login to your LEADTOOLS Support accountor Register a new forum account.

#2 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2011 9:50:32 AM(UTC)

Danny H  

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello Ken

A brief description of how our controls work is this, our controls use direct show and direct show filters. They do not necessarily use the filters we ship even. The filters used are based off the parameters set and the merit of filters which are not explicitly added.

So in that case, the biggest requirement on the deployment side is that there is a filter available to play the video back. Mpeg4 is a patented format, but it does come with the Vista and Win7 machines. Wmv would be closer to a standard, but would only be accessible to Windows.

In order to best advise such a subject we would need more detail on how your application will distribute the video and if users will expect an installation or not.

Keep in mind just the encoder is not the only factor, there is of course the audio encoder and the multiplexors as well.

If you can tell us a little more in detail about what your target is we could give futher information more easily. You can email us at support@leadtools.com if you prefer to discuss this there, but just make sure to mention the posting.