Welcome Guest! To enable all features, please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Last Go to last post Unread Go to first unread post
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 5, 2011 9:17:20 AM(UTC)
crimsonisland

Groups: Registered

I have a PDF that is generated from Crystal Reports and it is 46 KB. Once I convert this PDF using the Leadtools PDF engine, it is much larger.

I am using Leadtools 16.5.

I am using RasterImageFormat.RasPdfLzw as the compression type.

I have used the following dpi and bpp combinations:
300 dpi with 24 bpp = 430 KB - Best Quality
300 dpi with 8 bpp = 245 KB - Good Quality
300 dpi with 1 bpp = 134 KB - Acceptable quality
200 dpi with 24 bpp = 243 KB - Acceptable quality

I am looking for something that gives great quality, but small file size.

Is there a demo I can use to test out all the possible combinations?

Try the latest version of LEADTOOLS for free for 60 days by downloading the evaluation: https://www.leadtools.com/downloads

Wanna join the discussion? Login to your LEADTOOLS Support accountor Register a new forum account.

#2 Posted : Thursday, January 6, 2011 4:01:02 AM(UTC)

Basel  

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

When you load a PDF page into LEADTOOLS, it is 'rasterized' (converted to bitmap image in memory). This is done regardless of the original contents of the PDF page.

If the original page contained one big uncompressed image, saving it with LEADTOOLS as uncompressed PDF will give you the same size.
However, if the original page contained text, drawing objects or compressed images, saving it as uncompressed PDF will produce a larger file size.
You could reduce the size by using a compressed PDF format, such as JPEG (for color page), or CCITT G4 or JBIG2 (for B/W pages).

If you would like to try some combinations, you can do that using our Main API demo. You will need to check "Show options on open" in Open file dialog to set the DPI to 300.

#3 Posted : Thursday, January 6, 2011 5:54:15 AM(UTC)
crimsonisland

Groups: Registered

I found the demo, and ran through some permiantations. Has anyone found a combinantion of compression and quality that is close to what Adobe generates?

I used the 300 DPI as suggested and saved the document using 1 BPP and Ccitt 4 compression and the quality was decent and the file size was still 116 KB, which is 70 KB larger than the original.

#4 Posted : Saturday, January 8, 2011 10:56:38 PM(UTC)

Basel  

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

The combination I gave you produce best quality with smaller size. I'm afraid you cannot do much about the file size because of rasterizing the PDF (converting it to bitmap).