Welcome Guest! To enable all features, please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Last Go to last post Unread Go to first unread post
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2009 4:47:41 AM(UTC)

dmsorg  
dmsorg

Groups: Registered

I have attached a small WPF app that reproduces this problem. It binds a List to an ItemsControl and displays each image via a DataTemplate that contains a RasterImageViewer.

After several clicks of the Reset button, it will throw an OutOfMemoryException. Also, watching the private bytes in task manager shows the application consuming approximately 250MB per button click.

I have downloaded the trial version of lead tools Imaging Pro v16.5
File Attachment(s):
WpfApplication1.zip (1,442kb) downloaded 27 time(s).

Try the latest version of LEADTOOLS for free for 60 days by downloading the evaluation: https://www.leadtools.com/downloads

Wanna join the discussion? Login to your LEADTOOLS Support accountor Register a new forum account.

#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2009 4:52:32 AM(UTC)

dmsorg  
dmsorg

I left out the Images.Clear() in Button_Click(), but it will still throw the error when it is present. You have to click the reset button fairly rapidly to get to occurr.

#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2009 6:53:42 AM(UTC)

Basel  

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I changed the Button_Click code to this, and no more out of memory exceptions were raised:
for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++)
   Images.Add(codecs.Load("..\\..\\barcode1.tif"));
for (int i = Images.Count - 1; i >= 0; --i)
{
   Images[i].Dispose();
   Images[i] = null;
}
Images.Clear();

#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2009 8:43:03 AM(UTC)

dmsorg  
dmsorg

The click should always end with images being displayed. It is meant to simulate switching between some entity that displays different images for every click.

The code you have provided will not display any images after execution.

#5 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2009 1:06:03 AM(UTC)

Basel  

The purpose of my added code was to free all images so that you don't get a leak.

If you want to keep one or more images to display them, do not call Images[i].Dispose() or Images[i] = null for these images, but you should add that code SOMEWHERE if you don't want to get a memory leak.

In other words, do not keep a RasterImage object floating by clearing it from the collection without disposing it first.

#6 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:25:56 AM(UTC)

dmsorg  
dmsorg

Ahh. I see your intention now. I changed the code to dispose the existing images first before displaying new ones. That did prevent an out of memory exception from occurring, but the process memory still fluctuated between 250MB and 1GB.

I then changed the code to do 20 images:
for (int i = 0; i < Images.Count; i++)
{
Images[i].Dispose();
Images[i] = null;
}

Images.Clear();

for (int i = 0; i < 20; i++)
Images.Add(codecs.Load("..\\..\\barcode1.tif"));

This did cause the out of memory exception to occurr. The image is only a 20kb file. I'm just not understanding why the RasterImages cause such a high memory footprint. The application we will be developing could easily display more than 20images at a time ( as thumbnails).

#7 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:39:20 AM(UTC)

Basel  

20kb is the size on disk. The actual image size on memory could different when it's loaded if the disk file is compressed.

Also, .NET doesn't always free the memory when you dispose of an object. If you want to force memory freeing, you can use the following code:
GC.Collect(); //force garbage collection
GC.WaitForPendingFinalizers();