Welcome Guest! To enable all features, please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Last Go to last post Unread Go to first unread post
#1 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2008 8:59:47 AM(UTC)
Ozymandias76

Groups: Registered

I have a project where I need to OCR the MICR line of a check and parse the result to get the individual data elements (account #, routing #, etc.).  I am using Leadtools 14.5

The problem I'm running into is that when I call RasterOcr.SaveResultsToMemory, I lose all the special MICR characters.  In looking at the MICR demo the results are saved to a Word document with all the special characters in tact.  However, if I use the SaveResultsToMemory in the demo I again lose the special characters.

I am pretty sure this has something to do with character set encoding in the SaveResultsToMemory function.  The String type in .Net uses Unicode so I know they handle the characters fine natively (just output the "langPlus" string from my code below in the Visual Studio immediate window and the special characters print as expected).  Is there any way to preserve the exact OCR'ed characters when pulling OCR results?  Going through a Word document is absolutely not a workable solution.

Even when I loop through the GetRecognizedCharacters array none of the characters match the special MICR characters; yet obviously those characters are recognized internally, otherwise they couldn't have been saved out in Word.

Below is the code I am using to do the OCR (minus error handling and cleanup for readability).

------------------
    Private Function DoOcr(ByVal image As IRasterImage) As String
        Dim result As String = Nothing
        Dim langPlus As String = ChrW(&H2446) + ChrW(&H2447) + ChrW(&H2448) + ChrW(&H2449) + ChrW(&H0)
        Dim rasterOcr As New RasterOcr()
        rasterOcr.StartUp()

rasterOcr.LanguageCharacterPlus = langPlus
        rasterOcr.LanguageCharacterFilter = RasterOcrCharacterFilter.All

Try
            Dim zoneData As RasterOcrZoneData = New RasterOcrZoneData
            rasterOcr.AddPage(image, -1)
            zoneData.Rectangle = New Rectangle(0, 0, image.Width, image.Height)
            zoneData.FillMethod = RasterOcrFillMethod.Micr
            zoneData.RecognizeModule = RasterOcrRecognizeModule.Auto
            zoneData.CharacterFilter = RasterOcrCharacterFilter.Default
            zoneData.Type = RasterOcrZoneType.Column
            rasterOcr.AddZone(0, 0, zoneData)

rasterOcr.EnableSubSystem = True
            rasterOcr.EnableCorrection = True
            rasterOcr.SpellLanguageID = RasterOcrLanguage.English
            rasterOcr.RecognitionDataFileName = Path.ChangeExtension(Path.Combine(AppDomain.CurrentDomain.BaseDirectory, Path.GetRandomFileName()), "rdf")

rasterOcr.Recognize(0, 1)
            result = rasterOcr.SaveResultsToMemory()
        Catch ex As Exception
            MessageBox.Show(ex.ToString())
        End Try

rasterOcr.ShutDown()
        rasterOcr = Nothing
        Return result
    End Function
-----------------

The resulting string never contains any of the characters in the "langPlus" string.  I have also ported the Word save results code from the demo into my project to make sure there wasn't something else going on, and sure enough, the resulting file contained the special characters.

Try the latest version of LEADTOOLS for free for 60 days by downloading the evaluation: https://www.leadtools.com/downloads

Wanna join the discussion? Login to your LEADTOOLS Support accountor Register a new forum account.

#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2008 6:34:52 AM(UTC)

Yasir Alani  

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I tested using our demo and the MICR image shipped with our toolkit.

You can get the actual Unicode character value like this:

Dim c() As Leadtools.Ocr.RasterOcrRecognizedCharacters

c = _rasterOcr.GetRecognizedCharacters(0)

After that, the value of Hex(AscW(c(0).GuessCode)) was
returned as "2446", which is the correct Hex value for the first MICR character in the image.

#3 Posted : Monday, March 24, 2008 4:16:58 AM(UTC)
Ozymandias76

Groups: Registered

Thanks.

I tried using GetRecognizedCharacters like you describe (as I said in my post) but I wasn't seeing that it was pulling back the correct characters.

I updated to the latest version and everything works great so it is possible that it was bahaving incorrectly in the older version I was using.  However, on hindsight, I don't know if maybe I was doing something wrong (wouldn't be the first time) and it was working before or not (and I don't feel like reverting back to check).  If anyone else is having the same issue I describe above I can confirm that with the latest version (14.5.0.72) it works fine.