Welcome Guest! To enable all features, please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

• 2 Pages
  • <
Options
View
Last Go to last post Unread Go to first unread post
#21 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2008 5:06:59 AM(UTC)
johnreichert

Groups: Registered

Maen -

Putting the file in bin folder and changing the working directory to the bin folder does work.

However, I am concerned that changing the working folder will have an (yet unknown) unintended consequence.

If there is a known place to store DLL files, and the file is in that place, then LEAD should be able to find the file without any workaround.  I would still like you to log this issue as a bug.

Thanks,

John

#22 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2008 2:39:15 AM(UTC)
Maen Hasan

Groups: Registered, Tech Support

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

John,

Normally, you don't need to change the current directory. You can put the DLL in one of 3 places:
1. The application EXE's folder
2. A folder in the system PATH.
3. The SYSTEM32 folder (special case of 2 above)

However, in your case, there is no application EXE and you don't want to put it on the SYSTEM32 folder.
Is it possible to add the DLL location to the system's PATH environment variable? If not, you will need a workaround, such as changing the Current Dir, or some other workaround if you don't like this one.

In general, unless some other part of your code relies on the current directory, for example to load or save files without specifying absolute path, changing the current directory should not cause any problems. If you are not sure, you can always reset it to the previous value after you load the DLL. The code will be something like this:

Dim oldDir As String
oldDir = CurDir()
ChDir(.. location of PDFDLL32.DLL ..)
.. do PDF initializing, such as load any PDF page ..
ChDir(oldDir)

Again, if you don't want this workaround, let me know and I will think of another one.

Thanks,
Maen Badwan
LEADTOOLS Technical Support

• 2 Pages
  • <