Welcome Guest! To enable all features, please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Last Go to last post Unread Go to first unread post
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2008 6:57:19 AM(UTC)
Valentin Strazdin

Groups: Registered

I am using LEADTools v 15.0 to display PDF files in RasterImageViewer.
I have PDF file that contains about 100 pages. Opening this file takes about 3 minutes. After that the process is consuming from 250MB to 500MB of memory (I see it in Task Manager) depending on resolution.
If I open the same file in Acrobat Reader it takes 3 seconds and the process is consuming only 23MB of memory.

Is there any way for optimizing memory consumption?
Is it inevitable: better quality (resolution) requires more memory?

Try the latest version of LEADTOOLS for free for 60 days by downloading the evaluation: https://www.leadtools.com/downloads

Wanna join the discussion? Login to your LEADTOOLS Support accountor Register a new forum account.

#2 Posted : Thursday, March 6, 2008 4:04:59 AM(UTC)

Adam Boulad  

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Our RasterImageViewer takes more time because it loads every page, converting it to raster (bitmap) image, this process takes time and it is different than what Acrobat Reader is doing.

Acrobat Reader keeps the document in its original format, and I don't know whether it loads all pages into memory at once or not.

If you want to reduce memory needed, and also speed the loading process, you can decrease the DPI value but this will reduce the quality of the image.

Another approach which might be better, depending on your application, is not to load all pages to memory at once. Instead, load one or more pages as needed, display or process that page or pages, and when other pages are needed you can load them alone without the need to begin from page 1. This means you can do 100 separate load operations instead of one long call.

Edit by moderator:
In newer versions of LEADTOOLS, PDF loading speed has been significantly improved. Furthermore, it is no longer limited to rasterizing, but includes numerous features like document-based loading, viewing and manipulation.

Edited by moderator Thursday, October 27, 2016 1:00:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified