Welcome Guest! To enable all features, please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Last Go to last post Unread Go to first unread post
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2008 6:53:01 PM(UTC)

DSchak  
DSchak

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I would like to know if Lead does support or intends to support the PDF/A standard and if so at what compliance level, a or b.

I have looked through the documentation and searched the forums and I can only find a post from a year ago about PDF/A that states that states that the user should test to see if the PDF output from the Lead module meets the criteria.  A bit of a cop out.

Can someone at Lead provide me with more details.  We have been a Lead shop since 10 and it would be nice to know where Lead stands on this as it is becoming more and more important for document archival projects.

Regards.

Try the latest version of LEADTOOLS for free for 60 days by downloading the evaluation: https://www.leadtools.com/downloads

Wanna join the discussion? Login to your LEADTOOLS Support accountor Register a new forum account.

#2 Posted : Thursday, March 6, 2008 1:07:14 AM(UTC)

Adnan Ismail  

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I'm
afraid the answer will not change much this time. We do not document or advertise that our toolkit specifically conforms to the PDF/A standard.
However,
this does not mean the PDF files saved with LEADTOOLS do not meet the standard.
I think PDF/A actually restricts some aspects of the common PDF format, and
adds nothing new (or very little) to it. Since the files saved by our raster
PDF Plug-in contain only raster (bitmap) images, it would be hard to imagine that PDF/A does not allow these types of images.

Even if
some types of image compression are not allowed by PDF/A, you can choose other compression types when saving a PDF file using LEADTOOLS.

This
means if you find any part of our PDF support preventing you from creating an
application that complies to the PDF/A standard, send us the details and we will submit a feature request or bug report to our engineers.

#3 Posted : Thursday, March 6, 2008 4:35:28 PM(UTC)

DSchak  
DSchak

Groups: Registered

Thanks for your response.

I agree that it is unlikely that a pure raster image within a PDF wrapper is likely to fail the PDF/A requirements.  I should have been a bit clearer.  It is with respect to two aspects that I was interested in.  The first are the attributes that are required to be compliant.  The second is that I was looking more at image and text where there are requirements for imbedding all the fonts inside the PDF file are mandatory.

#4 Posted : Sunday, March 9, 2008 6:51:34 AM(UTC)

Adnan Ismail  

I'm
afraid we don't have the PDF/A requirements, and our file format functions
cannot be used to examine compliance. Also, both our Raster PDF plug-in and
Advanced PDF compressor do not include any text objects, and do not embed any font information into PDF files.

#5 Posted : Monday, September 8, 2008 2:08:23 AM(UTC)

Adnan Ismail  

Our engineers have added PDF/A support to LEADTOOLS toolkit. It will be available in LEADTOOLS v16.
If you would like to be notified when LEADTOOLS v16 become available, you can either email us every few weeks, or subscribe to our newsletter using this page:
http://www.leadtools.com/subscription/