Welcome Guest! To enable all features, please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Last Go to last post Unread Go to first unread post
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 23, 2007 12:44:07 PM(UTC)
colinfulford

Groups: Registered

I am trying to deploy an application that uses LeadTools ActiveX and it is failing to work under Vista. It works fine for XP users. Is there anything special to watch out for when installing under Vista? It fails for both LeadTools ActiveX versions 8 and 13.

Try the latest version of LEADTOOLS for free for 60 days by downloading the evaluation: https://www.leadtools.com/downloads

Wanna join the discussion? Login to your LEADTOOLS Support accountor Register a new forum account.

#2 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2007 12:05:10 AM(UTC)

Qasem Lubani  

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

We have not tested LEADTOOLS
version 8 or 13 on Windows vista, but I would expect them to work. One Windows
Vista feature is that, to be able to register COM and ActiveX controls
correctly, you must run the process as Administrator. In other words, it's not
enough to be a member of the Administrators group, but you must also run the registration command as Administrator. Are you doing that?

#3 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2007 11:36:07 AM(UTC)
colinfulford

That would explain things. Currently I am registering the OCX/DLL files from within the program but obviously if the user is not an Administrator then this will fail. How can I ensure that they are registered correctly - i.e. how can I ensure that the software temporarily runs as administrator? Currently I am using InstallShield 6 to install the software - I am guessing this will not register the files correctly under Vista but any hints will be most appreciated.

#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2007 1:29:17 AM(UTC)

Qasem Lubani  

To verify this is the problem,
use one of the Vista test computers where our
controls did not work, then log on using the local user named Administrator and
run your setup again. If it works correctly, this means you're on the right
track and you need to find the solution to the problem of registering COM objects on Vista.

This problem is not specific to (or caused by) LEAD controls. It will be the same for any COM object.

If it doesn't work even when you log on as Administrator, it could be a different problem.

#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2007 2:58:43 AM(UTC)
colinfulford

OK - I have had a response from one of the people using the software and registration works correctly when logged in as Administrator. Do you have a workarround for this problem? I am assuming that as your area of expertise is OCX and COM objects that you have experience of this :-). The problem is that many of my users are low on computer knowledge and so asking them to log in as Administrator could perhaps be beyond their knowledge.

Regards,

Colin

#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2007 1:15:32 AM(UTC)

Qasem Lubani  

Cloin,

This issue is common to all COM/OCX objects, and is
faced by anybody creating a setup that runs under Vista.
This means setup-creation programs and their vendors should have more information about how to deal with this kind of problem.

#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2007 5:15:18 AM(UTC)
colinfulford

Does the Raster Imaging Pro software have the same problem? i.e. does it rely on registering any objects within Windows?

Regards,

Colin

#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2007 10:27:41 PM(UTC)

Qasem Lubani  

According to our Installation engineer. Our Toolkit was build under InstallShield 10. The registration for ActiveX DLLs is supported by design for Windows Vista.

#9 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2007 12:15:06 AM(UTC)
colinfulford

But the problem is not in my system for developing but when I do installations on customers computers. Or are you saying that you have a redistributable program for installing the leadtools files? If so could you let me know where to find it?

Regards,

Colin

#10 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2007 1:54:03 AM(UTC)
colinfulford

Just a quick check while we are on the subject of registering files. I have checked the documentation and it appears that it is purely the LTOCX13N.OCX file that needs registering - is this correct? i.e. none of the other OCX/DLL files need registering?

Regards,

Colin

#11 Posted : Sunday, September 30, 2007 1:21:01 AM(UTC)

Qasem Lubani  

All our OCX files need registering (if your project needs them, of course).

On the development system,
where you install LEADTOOLS, the setup program we supply for the toolkit does the registering for you.

However, when installing on YOUR customer machines,
you should create your own setup, and solve any registration problems you face
yourself. If you are using a setup-creation software, you need to consult its
documentation or support team for help on solving your customer's setup problems.

#12 Posted : Sunday, September 30, 2007 10:18:48 PM(UTC)
colinfulford

As a possible suggestion, would it be possible in future releases to include cut-down setup programs with your redistributable files that will register them correctly? It could be quite a useful feature to your customers.

Regards,

Colin

#13 Posted : Monday, October 1, 2007 10:06:41 PM(UTC)

Qasem Lubani  

Thank you for your suggestion. You can add this as a feature request and submit it to our engineers using the following link:

http://www.leadtools.com/DevServices/Feature-Request.htm

#14 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2008 5:21:45 AM(UTC)
vamindian

Hi  Dear,

Before deploying your application setup which uses leadtools activex you need to performs certains things. Even I faced the same problem and I fixed it. The main reason that you are unable to deploy or register your activex controls is due to Vista Security. Please follow the below steps and then install your application. I am sure it will work.

Please do the following steps in PCs which are running on Windows Vista:-

1. Goto run and enter the following command in run without double quotes ---- "secpol.msc"

2. Expand "Local Policies"

3. Click on the "Security Options"

4. On the Right PANEL scroll down to the end of the page, check all the items starting with the name "User Account Control" ---- Just "disable" them, if disable is not available for some options then select "do not prompt".
5. Restart the computer.

thanks & regards

J. Vamshi Krishna

Software Engineer

Iton Softwares LLC, Muscat, Sultanate of Oman.

Email: vamshi@itoncorp.com